Dear Superintendents, Directors, and Coordinators:
I hope this email finds you well and that as you continue to navigate the ongoing challenges that have resulted due to the pandemic, you are also enjoying the excitement of connecting with families, educators, and, of course, students as you begin the new school year.
As LEAs transition back to in-person instruction, we understand there are many things to prepare for and consider. To support your efforts, included below are a few reminders, guidance, and updates.
- School districts and charter schools operating through an adopted ITM (Instructional Time Model) are still responsible for the identification of English Language Learners and provisions of the required minutes in the Structured English Immersion model/s the LEA has adopted pursuant to Title 15, Chapter 7, Article 3.1, Arizona Revised Statutes. The document HB2862 Final Guidance provides detailed and important information.
- As promised to those that attended the New EL Coordinator Boot Camp, we have compiled your questions from the training and have included responses in this EL Coordinator Boot Camp FAQ document.
- OELAS has received several questions from the field on AZELLA Placement and Stand-Alone Field Testing. The following links include guidance that has been provided by colleagues in our Assessment Unit. Please send any testing-related questions to AZELLA@azed.gov.
- The professional learning team continues to offer virtual training opportunities to educators around the new ELP Standards, AZ’s Language Development Approach and Teaching Reading Effectively to English Learners. For more information read our OELAS Professional Learning Opportunities flyer.
- An additional learning opportunity is HOPE Conference 2021 (formerly known as the OELAS Conference). Not only is this a chance for the field to acquire new knowledge and skills but also to share their expertise with other Arizona educators. Please consider submitting a Session Proposal to present at a conference breakout session.Please reach out to your OELAS Education Program Specialist, Laura Alvarez, Unique Populations Deputy Associate Superintendent, or me, with any questions you have.Sincerely,
Melissa Castillo, Ed.D.Associate Superintendent Equity, Diversity, and InclusionArizona Department of Education
Arizona Department of Education
1535 W Jefferson Street, Phoenix, AZ